Dong of Dong-guClick on the name to see a introduction
In 1998, Daegum-dong(Daein-dong, Gumnamro5-ga), Chungsu-dong(Chungjangro5-ga, Sugi-dong), Daeui-dong(Gung-dong, Jang-dong), Chunggum-dong(Chungjangro 1,2,3,4, Gumnamro 1,2,3,4), and Samsung-dong(Bulro, Whanggum, Honam-dong) were integrated and named as Chungjang-dong. Daein-dong was named after Daejungjung in the Japanese Empire, and Chungjangro was named after a pen name of General Duk Ryung Kim while Gumnam-ro was named after a military name of General Chung Shin Jung. Sugi-dong was originated from Gongsubang-myun and Giryebang-myun. Gyunsubang-myun was a town of artisans who used to make necessary crafts for a government office; however, its original meaning is a land supplied to a state to be used in an accommodation and reception for officers who go to a district from a metropolis. Gung-dong was originated from a archery field located inside of a palace while Jang-dong was from a bridge of a farm. Also, Bulro-dong was named after Budongbang-myun. The meaning of Bulro is an abbreviated name of King Budong who is one of great kings of Daejon. According to esoteric Buddism, Daeilyeorae was appeared to this world in a different appeareance to bring satan under its knees. In Buddism, the rule of Budong means a prayer to get benefits as well as to keep off a misfortune, and there are Sajin-dan and Sung-Whang-dan of Gwangju town in Budongbang
It was called as "Dongbakae" because it is located outside of a east gate of Gwangju-eup palace and as "Donggae" because of its location nearby Donggae river. In 1946, it is finally named as Dongmyung-dong.
In 1947, it is named as Gaelim-dong because there was always the voice of the cock in woods where inhabitants raised many cocks, who lived near a wooded landscape in Gyeongyang Bangjuk embankment. Meanwhile, one version says that it is called as Gaelim to express Saebul in Chinese because new land was born by reclamation of Bangjuk. In fact, it was a wooded town with a traditional altar as a downstream of Donggye river.
Sansu was originated from beautiful scenery of a town.
In 1935, it was named after Jimak-ri and called as Jisan. Jimak is a written expression of "Jiwa" in Chinese, which is a dialect of a Korean tile.
In 1998, Seonam-dong was named after combining the initials of Seosuk-dong and Namgum-dong(Gwangsan-dong, Nam-dong, Gum-dong). Nam-dong was originated from the north gate of a Gwangju-eup palace while Gum-dong was from Gumgae(Gwangju river). Seosuk-dong was called as Seonam-ri because the town is located under Seosuk Mountain(Mudeong Mountain) and named as Seosuk in 1930.
It was called as Hakgang because it is a hilly region that a Mudeong mountain range came down like a crane and renamed as Hak-dong in 1947.
It is called as Hakun-dong by combining the initials of Hak-dong and Unlim-dong in 1970. Unlim-dong was named by combining the initials of Unguk and Shinlim.
In 1975, it is called as Jiwon-dong named after Jihan-myun. It also means a place with a catchment area. Sotae-dong was originated from Sotae-sil while Yongyen-dong was from Yongsut-gol. Yonggang and Whasan(Kotmae) were integrated as Yongsan-dong while Wol-dong(Chilchun) and Junam were combined as Wolnam-dong. Naenam-dong was named by combining Naeji(Yukpani) and Namgae while Sun-dong and Gyohang(Darimok) was integrated as Sungyo-dong.